The following is an account of the minutes taken at the Board of Trustees Meeting held on Monday, October 24, 2011.
The following members were present:
Johnny Secrest-Vice Chairperson
Debbie Richard-Recording Secretary
Pastor Jim Church
Call to order by Fred Miller-Chairperson. Bruce Loyer held a prayer to open the Board of Trustees Meeting. Minutes were read.
Bruce Loyer needs help with the repair of light on end of Family Life Center. Doug Fraley volunteered to assist Bruce.
The entrance ramp has been repaired except for the stabilization of one rail.
The Eagle Scout Project is on hold due to school issues.
Fred Miller and Johnny Secrest repaired the door in the educational building with closers.
Door lock issues locksmith is working on. Michael Houser has informed of other issues with the doors. This could possibly be an issue due to signage.
Reviewed lawn care contractors from which to request references and or interview. The top three were 1) Blue Ridge Lawn Care and Landscaping, 2) All Out Services, 3) Newton-Conover Lawn Care. Fred Miller-Chairperson is to check the references of the first and proceed on down the list if the references gave any concerns.
Prioritization of previously identified projects listed below:
1) Safe sanctuary related items at a cost of approximately $1000. This would include a wall mount TV/DVD in the nursery, a camera outside the nursery to view every space inside the nursery, camera in the sanctuary to view services while keeping the nursery, a motion activated surveillance camera at the children’s church, closures for door in educational building, first aid kit in educational building near children’s church, a window in the Pastor’s door, fix electrical outlet in Cindy’s classroom. Fred Miller has a Sony recorder he will donate.
2) Rewire educational building. Engineering study of re-wiring. Bruce will ask Joel.
3) Roofing issues in the AA and NA classroom. Roofing leaks in the bell tower and Sanctuary. Need to identify all the leaks.
4) Wall in the Family Life Center. Water issue.
5) Paint or replace windows in the old fellowship hall.
6) Paving parking lots to include lines and paving the parsonage.
7) Replace the sound system in the Sanctuary.
8) Signage on Hwy 16. Possibly a flag pole.
9) Remodel sanctuary bathrooms.
A brief “called” meeting was held Sunday, November 6, 2011 after the worship service. Members present were Fred Miller, Bruce Loyer, Jerry Lamb, Doug Fraley, and Pastor Jim Church. The purpose of the meeting was to vote who would be selected as winning bidder for the lawn care contract. A decision was made to offer the contract to Blue Ridge for the 2012 calendar year. Fred Miller will work with Susan to notify and thank the unsuccessful bidders. Fred will also develop a letter for the current contractor and give them a thirty day notice of termination of their contract. Lance will review the letter and tweak it if necessary to ensure there will be no negative legal ramifications. Delay will be made on the snow removal contract until more information could be gathered from Blue Ridge regarding their interest in performing this task. This decision will be finalized at our next regularly scheduled trustees meeting.
Michael Houser had requested the trustees consider donating the water damaged piano to Jenkins Elementary School. Volunteers from the school would assist Michael in removing the piano and transporting it to the auction site. Since no member of the congregation or any other church or non-profit had expressed interest in the piano, the trustees voted to dispose of the piano by donating it to the school.
The Board of Trustees meeting was adjourned approximately 8:00pm. The next meeting will be held on Monday, November 28, 2011 at 6:30 p.m.